Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Morocco bound

Just when I am hoping that nobody ever responds to those “fishing” romantic emails, I get a call this morning from a colleague who tells me one of her friends is in love with her Internet man. This victim, I mean, woman divorced her alcoholic husband last year. She is now on welfare with her two children. And she has scrounged together enough money to buy a ticket to Morocco to met her man. She said: “It’s not one of those Internet things. He really loves me.” They have never met.

Sigh.

This is why those guys send out those emails. This proves my theory that it is not cynical old maids like me who are at risk in these schemes, but vulnerable widows and divorcées who don’t know how to take care of themselves.

I hope she comes to her senses before she lands in Morocco and realizes there’s nobody there to meet her.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh there will be plenty to take his place if no one shows. They are desperate for a chance for citizenship.

Nanuk of the North, older but no wiser said...

What an unromantic thing to say!