Tuesday, December 11, 2007

My Stairway to Heaven Theory

My theory is that Stairway to Heaven has a ten-year shelf life. That is to say that from the first time one hears StH one has ten years of enjoyment before suddenly ODing on the song and not being able to listen to it anymore.

Most people in my age group would've heard StH for the first time as teenagers, let us say, at age 15 just to make it easy. I'll use myself as an example. I heard the song and I loved it. Thought it was great.

And then for years and years, I kept hearing it. Still liking it, but then suddenly at or around age 25 I got sick of it. I couldn't stand it anymore. And I have now spent 21 years being sick of the song but still being unable to escape it.

You can't escape it, you know. It's playing in every gas station, depanneur, drug store you go into. If there's a radio on, within a few minutes you'll be hearing Stairway to Heaven. And hating it.

8 comments:

cityofmushrooms said...

what? is there a bustle in your headgegrow, or what?

cityofmushrooms said...

hey wait a minute: it would be cool to hear STH in a depanneur

actually it would just be cool to be in a real depanneur again, picking up an allo police

Nanuk of the North, older but no wiser said...

RIP Allo Police. It is no more. And it had really gone downhill in its final years. Gone were the glory days of bloody gangland shooting victims on the front page. They'd been replaced by topless bimbos.

I can't believe there isn't a demand for a revived Allo Police, like in the old days. How am I supposed to know when someone in a bar in St-Henri gets shot 3 times in the chest in a "settlement of accounts"? And I need to know these things!

Even the local Chronicle doesn't carry its Crime Blotter anymore. Dammit, I wanna know whose houses have been broken into around the 'hood! It's my right to know!

Anonymous said...

My theory: Claude Poirier now has a monopoly on all criminal goings-on in the province.

Anonymous said...

...but one never gets tired of Whole Lotta Love...or does one?

JAW fan

Nanuk of the North, older but no wiser said...

How many times have you heard StH for each time you've heard WLL? I'd guess it's about 10 to 1. We have many more years before we tire of WLL. Not to mention Kashmir.

cityofmushrooms said...

check out the dixie hayseeds' (or is that the hayseed dixies? google them-there's a website) super-cool version of whole lotta love

Anonymous said...

...and no one can even possibly begin to imagine getting tired of Hair of the Dog by Nazareth.

Why that popped into my head, I have no idea...

JAW fan.