Friday, November 23, 2007

My New Hero: Sim Jae-duck

A week without toilet news is a week without sunshine. Therefore (from CNN):

"SEOUL, South Korea (AP) -- The World Toilet Association kicked off its inaugural conference Thursday, hoping to spark a sanitation revolution that will save lives through better hygiene and break taboos about what happens behind closed bathroom doors.


To the celebratory rhythms of a percussionist beating on toilets, dozens of government delegates and U.N. representatives began two days of discussions on improving bathroom facilities for the 2.6 billion people worldwide who lack access to proper restrooms.

The South Korean government has given strong backing to the World Toilet Association, which has been spearheaded by the country's "Mr. Toilet" -- parliament member Sim Jae-duck. He earned his nickname for improving public restrooms for the 2002 World Cup as mayor of Suwon city."

I can’t decide what’s the best part of this story: the percussionist beating on toilets, or the guy nicknamed Mr. Toilet. Can I be Miss Toilet?

What is it with Koreans and toilets?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is the internet - you can be anything you want to be!

Anonymous said...

Sorry, have to do this - we have a new Prime Minister! John Howard is gone, gone, gone! (sorry, I've been drinking champagne.....)

Nanuk of the North, older but no wiser said...

I wrote my post before I read your comment. You didn't need my go-ahead to start the celebration. Cheers!

cityofmushrooms said...

I once saw a photo of king henry VIII's toilet- it was a little hole in a little stone room and I thought, even at its worst, my leaky toilet is better than henry's

up w/toilet power, I saw

cityofmushrooms said...

duh,

I mean I SAY