Saturday, November 10, 2007

The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford

I wanted to put the whole title of this great movie in my subject line. I love this movie so much.

But. There's always a but.

Many years ago, I saw the Chinese equivalent of this movie. It was a Hong Kong western, a masterpiece called Ashes of Time. I loved that movie so much. But as I sat there loving every frame, JAW Fan sat next to me contemplating slashing his wrists because he hated it so much.

More recently, there was a Korean movie called A Bloody Aria that others liked. Meanwhile I spent the last hour of it seeking a rope which I could use to hang myself. I hated it that much.

All this to say there are movies I adore that I cannot in good faith recommend to others because I don't want to feel responsible if they hate it and feel that they have wasted 2 hours and 40 minutes of their lives. And this is one of those movies.

Let me reiterate that I love this movie. It's long, it's incredibly slow moving, but it got me in its grip and I was enthralled. So go see it, or don't. It was filmed in Alberta (and Manitoba) and it is gorgeous to look at. And the music is great. And the colours are great. And the acting is great. It's cinematic in a way most movies aren't. Brad Pitt is awesome and I'm not really much of a fan. But don't go because I told you to.

(For Ms Mushrooms, I see that many critics have called it Malick-like. That's all YOU need to know.)

3 comments:

cityofmushrooms said...

as always, I await its appearance on the movie channel and a pile of laundry that needs folding some sunday night in the future

(I finally saw "running w/sissors" brian cox was amazing, annette benning wasn't too annoying, and alec b could have used more screen time)

Anonymous said...

This one is on the list to see, along with Michael Clayton and Lions for Lambs -happy to hear any reviews of those. Saw an English farce directed by Frank Oz 'Death at a Funeral' -little slow to get started, but very funny and very black.

Anonymous said...

Wow!...Grover's directing movies. It must be good. I love Grover.

JAW fan