Monday, November 26, 2007

Me + Mechanical Thing = Argh!

I drive a 1993 Altima, as regular readers of this blog know.

The engine runs perfectly, but the body is full of unsightly rust. About once per month, I find a business card tucked under the windshield wiper that says “We collect scrap metal”. It’s not always from the same company; apparently more than one scrap metal dealer covets my vehicle. I try not to feel hurt by these billet doux.

Now I have another problem. There’s a short in one of the windows and it does not stay closed. This has been going on a couple of months now, but is only becoming serious now because, hey, winter is here. You wanna drive around in this climate with a back window that is wide open? It’s not fun. I always thought automatic windows were such a cool advantage over old-fashioned cranking ones, but now I'm not so sure.


But do I want to pay a fortune to fix an electrical problem on a ’93 car? No, I do not.

So yesterday I had to go all white trash, and duct-taped a sheet of plastic across the gaping hole. Fortunately, as I went off to beautiful Lasalle to do groceries at my fave IGA, the window unstuck, righted itself and I was able to get the window to go back up and stay up. Huzzah. Now, of course, I’m afraid to drive the car out again in case the dang window falls again. It’s going to be an exciting winter.

I’m leaving the plastic up. Maybe I’ll get a Confederate Flag sticker for my back bumper. Yee-haw.

2 comments:

cityofmushrooms said...

duct tape rocks

signed driver of old (1986) tho "fer-in" toyota

Anonymous said...

I'm not quite at the duct tape stage,but I plan on matching white tape for the the white 1991 Nissan - no rust yet and old fashioned windy-up windows.

You have IGA in Canada! We have them here!