Wednesday, October 18, 2006

We, the Lazy Quebecois

I’ve been trying to figure out what I want to say about this story.

“QUEBEC — Lucien Bouchard's comments that Quebeckers don't work as hard as Ontarians and Americans sparked a furor Tuesday, with labour leaders and anti-poverty groups accusing the former Parti Québécois premier of being out of touch.

But some business leaders said they hope his remarks will encourage Quebeckers to rethink whether they can continue their current lifestyle.

“We don't work enough,” Mr. Bouchard said Monday night on the French-language TVA network. “We work less than Ontarians and infinitely less than Americans. We have to work harder.”

In the interview, Mr. Bouchard blamed what he called Quebeckers' poor work ethic and low productivity for the province's high debt and taxes and its economic stagnation.”

As I was saying to Rattansifan just the other day, my mother always said that Americans work A LOT harder for their money than we do. Now, apparently, so do Ontarians.

I guess the argument comes down to: do you work to live or live to work? And if you work to live, as we do here, how long can the economy sustain this?

Everyone’s saying the labour unions are too strong and workers never do one iota more than their job descriptions tell them to. I've spent a lot of time in hospitals over the last few years, so I've seen that attitude plenty of times, but I've also seen nurses and orderlies do things that I knew were not part of their jobs, so not everyone is the same. I know that work-to-rule attitude is not productive, but is it better to have employers who expect their employees to work regular overtime without pay? And employees who do it, knowing it is expected? That’s not fair either.

You know how, with US Generals, they can’t say what they really think of the Iraq War until they have retired? It’s the same with PQ politicians. They can’t tell Quebeckers they are lazy unless they are retired and absolutely certain they are never going back to public life.

Now I may not be a 100% pure Quebecoise, so in the minds of hard-core PQ supporters my opinion means nothing but, face it, if I was hard-working, would I do most of my blogging at the office? (Rhetorical question, that.) If this was Deadwood, people would call me a lazy c**ksucker.

I think it’s silly to deny that we work less hard than other people, but nothing in the system compels us to work harder*. So why should we? I like being out the door at 4:30.

*I do expect a comment from Mr. Anonymous on this. Rumour has it he works slightly harder than I do.

7 comments:

cityofmushrooms said...

remember that beer that this elegant woman pitched about "da gooood life" (that's her quebecois accent)? well, you people have got da good life! enjoy it.

(john labatt classic? I can't remember)

Anonymous said...

What no comment only maybe the Ontarians (?) and Americans might be working too hard? AS I type this at work....

Nanuk of the North, older but no wiser said...

Work will set you free!
I can't remember if that is from "1984" or the Nazi Party?

Anonymous said...

This is such an abstract concept that it's nearly impossible to quantify and hence comment on. (it's just an impression that we don't work as hard - how exactly is that measurable? By the amount of hours spent at a job? Ha - let me tell you, that is no guarantee that you are getting more done).

In my office there are crazy workaholics, lazy coasters and lots and lots of people in between. As I suspect it is in most places. To generalize that X group or Y group is lazier is a political ploy that business types invoke to get more by reverse motivation ("You don't want the world thinking your lazy, do you? So stay that extra hour tonight!") It's certainly not a statistically supportable argument.

Say - it feels like work talking about work. Please blog about something more important, like the upcoming "BEST OF MATCH GAME 73" DVD. Now those were hard working celebs.

Anonymous said...

I thought we Americans were the lazy ones. It's nice to know I was wrong... Says the soon-to-be-unemployed American chick who is spending her last two weeks at work doing as little as humanly possible.
And really, whether it's Generals or politicians, people could speak the truth before retirement if only they had the balls and/or the inclination to do so.

Nanuk of the North, older but no wiser said...

Gene Rayburn says:
"Quebecois are considered lazy because they don't BLANK hard enough."

cityofmushrooms said...

I thought quebecois blanked plenty hard