Thursday, October 12, 2006

Beauty, Truth, Truth, Beauty, Etc. Etc.

I love churches. Not for churchy reasons, but I love to visit them. And I love being in awe of them. I have not seen that many, and only a few of the great cathedrals of the world, i. e. St. Paul’s, Cologne, Notre-Dame, but as it stands I have to say that the most beautiful church in the world is the Duomo in Siena.





There is so much in that church that shook me. From the ceiling to the floor and every wall in between. It made the hair on my arms stand up. Best of all, it confirmed to me that I can still be moved by great art. I got weird tingly feelings in my neck.


To walk around the church and try to appreciate the years spent by hundreds and hundreds of sculptors, painters, woodworkers and all manner of artisans, working to produce and perfect this place for the worship of God and the glory of the Church. It’s staggering.

There were two regular guys working at restoring the floor. They were chipping at it with chisels, and I wondered how often they stopped and thought about how they were members of an exclusive group that had built and restored this church over 500 years or more. Do they sense that they are part of a great tradition? They have to!

And in all of this, the best part is the Piccolomini Library. It's a mind blower.




5 comments:

cityofmushrooms said...

are these your photos? is that picture one of les tres riches heures painted for duc de berry????

well, my mind's blown just looking at this post, you lucky lass, you

Nanuk of the North, older but no wiser said...

No. These aren't my personal photos. I'll have those next week.

Even the floor of this church is mind-blowing.

cityofmushrooms said...

I'll say!

Anonymous said...

Nothing personal...but these churches were not build with the sole intent of worshipping God. Sure that is what happened in them (and they were created under the guise of God)...but rest assured, it was all political (in an attempt to move up higher on the religious ladder --- I assume to get closer to the Pope!...Bigger church equalled better Christian) As stated over the phone, for an interesting breezy fiction-based-on-fact melodramatic read on the subject, purchase Ken Follet's Pillars of the Earth. Much better than Da Vinci Code, but a lot heavier in your knapsack as it weighs in at over 1000 pages.

With that being said, please note that that does not take away from the glorious splendor of the architect itself and the awe-inspiring feeling one might get by being in them.

JAW fan

Nanuk of the North, older but no wiser said...

Is there anything that isn't all political? Everything's politics.