Monday, October 16, 2006

First one of the season


I got my first heating-oil delivery on Saturday. I was quite happy, since last year I decided to lock in at 71 cents/litre, but this year I was in gamblin’ mood and decided to see where the market would lead. It was 59 cents/litre. Wheee, I’m practically rich.

Cheapish oil’s days are numbered, however, since I see that OPEC want to cut back on production, by a million barrels a day, in order to boost the price. Lord knows how painful it would be for those sad little oil producers to let me have my heating oil at a mere 59 cents all winter long. They’d be on the corner holding a tin cup, begging for quarters. I feel for them.

I’m not too worried, though, because my plan is that once the price starts to rise I’m going to write a really flattering letter to Hugo and politely request that he send a few hundred free litres of that sweet Venezuelan crude my way. If he doesn’t say yes right away, I’ll send a follow up letter attaching a comical drawing of Bush with horns, a tail and a pitchfork. Hugo will be so charmed by this, he’ll have to send me a tanker of freebie crude. What a devilishly good plan this is.

8 comments:

cityofmushrooms said...

you know, those door-to-door oil sales guys (yes, we have them out here in oil land) start talking gigajools (SP???) and my mind goes blanker than usual

Nanuk of the North, older but no wiser said...

You mean you have to pay for oil? I thought King Ralph handed it out for free, like money...

what do you guys pay? 8 or 9 cents/litre? grrrr

Anonymous said...

Yesterday morning I was in emergency at my local hospital to try and get antibiotics on a Sunday for my self-diagnosed strep throat (physician's actual diagnosis: "You have a bad cold. Go home and rest"). Anyway, whilst waiting for 2 hours to be told this, the John Goodman movie KING RALPH (where he becomes the King of Englad due to some plot contrivance or other) was on in the waiting room and I saw the last 45 minutes of it. The point is, I read the webmaster's comment above and mistook it for a reference to said film and thought "gad - that trip to Italy has done something awful to her sense of appropriate filmic examples" only to carefully re-read it and see it was but a reference to RK.

This may sound like a minor point, but knowing her for all these years and thinking for half a second she would refer to KING RALPH to make a point would have been akin to (reference for she and I alone) taking Kate Shaw's Shakespeare class and having her say "You will find the TEMPEST a lot like PORKY'S".

cityofmushrooms said...

alas, out here RK IS King Ralph
(at least until a new "leader" is "elected")

Nanuk of the North, older but no wiser said...

Dear Anon,
Ahem, the term here is "webmistress".

Incidentally, I always like your health-woes-related stories. Like heading to the clinic is a blinding storm only to find it closed.

Anonymous said...

"webmistress" might start getting you hits from the seamier side of the blogosphere, but if you insist.

(You will need to change your picture to one of a kitten with a whip then).

Meow.

cityofmushrooms said...

plus the kitten needs a black leather corset

Nanuk of the North, older but no wiser said...

We appear to have gotten severely off the topic of home heating oil.