Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Part of a Conversation...

...I had while in Italy. The Other Person involved will be identified only as O.P.

Opening: General talk about how the war is bad and getting worse….

O.P.: What do you think is going to happen to that man?
Me: What man is that?
O.P.: The man they found in the hole.
Me: I dunno who…
O.P.: Oh, you know! He was hiding in a hole, and the soldiers found him!
(pause)
Me: Saddam Hussein???
O.P.: Yeah, that’s him. What do you think will happen to him?

4 comments:

cityofmushrooms said...

the-man-they-found-in-the-hole
now there's a moniker you can hang your hat on

Anonymous said...

Can I make a guess? O.P. is an American - surely no one else could be that ignorant.

Nanuk of the North, older but no wiser said...

Surprise, but I have to say you are wrong. O.P. was British and in her 30's. Really, I can't find an excuse for that um lapse of memory on her part, but it still makes me laugh a month later.

Anonymous said...

British!!!! Oh dear, and here I was hoping for another dumb American tourist story - oh well.......