Monday, October 09, 2006

The Bad Boy of Italian Art

Last Thursday, I was in Florence and I went to the Uffizi.

The big draw of the Uffizi is Bottecelli's Birth of Venus. Or Venus on the Half Shell, as I usually think of her. Alas I was disappointed in her. A painting this grand deserves its own wall, if not its own room. But poor Venus, there she is sharing a wall with several other paintings in the Bottecelli room. She's an icon; she really deserves a more honourable presentation. And she's poorly lit too.

Fortunately the Uffizi experience was saved for me by the discovery of two monster cool paintings by Caravaggio. I've been reading up on Caravaggio ever since I got back. What a life. Look him up.

First, we have his Medusa. Isn't she scary? She's mounted on a shield so she's kinda 3D and wow, she is haunting. I love when a painting creeps me out.




Consumer Confession: At the airport gift shop, I saw a Medusa watch and I just had to have it. So now I own a Medusa watch. It is so cool.

Second was Caravaggio's Bacchus. I love this guy. I've read two conflicting stories about who the model is. One says it is a Caravaggio self-portrait, while the other says the model was a young student who roomed with Caravaggio. I prefer the latter story 'cause my mind reels at the thought of what outrageous situations and general naughtiness Caravaggio and this little trouble-maker could've gotten themselves into. He's such a little pig. I just love how this painting screams: "I'm one sexy motherfucker." That's my Bacchus!




3 comments:

cityofmushrooms said...

AHHH, Italy WAS good to you, wasn't it?

cityofmushrooms said...

get people you don't like to look at your medusa watch and presto! your enemies will turn to stone
(I want one)

Anonymous said...

That Meduse painting rocks.