Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Blogging Alice

I'd been told that I could blog about Alice Munro all week if I wanted to, though I don't think it will bring in any converts. There are 3 kinds of people in this world: the Alice lovers, the Alice haters (fools), and the indifferent rest of the world.

My eye doctor falls into that last category. Last week, I sat squinting at her latest, The View from Castle Rock, my eyes stinging from the drops his nurse had put in 20 minutes before. The doc finally ambles in, and peering at my book says, "What's' that?"
"The New Alice Munro," I say.
"Oh, never heard of her," he says.
Sigh.
And this is the guy who points blue lights at my eye balls, checks for glaucoma and diabetes in my eyes, and who will one day probably operate on my cataracts...
See? Indifferent.

At any rate, no blogging on Alice.

Except to say that she's a judge in this year's Giller Prize and today the short list will be announced. The long list, published last month, had mucho small press books and short stories on it. So we shall see.
Can we all stand that suspense? Or is, this too, falling into the "indifferent" category?

(cityofmushrooms)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

you forgot an entire category...

the alice fence sitters.
of whom i am one.
i flip flop so often i have decided that the proper place me to remain is the exact center.

frieda444@hotmail.com

cityofmushrooms said...

oh, come on off the fence
dip your toes in more alice
greatness awaits