Thursday, October 19, 2006

In Medical News

A drug company has told people to stop putting hemorrhoid cream on their faces. The cream, made by Schering, is called Scheringproct. According to a Norwegian TV report, "many photo models used the cream in the morning to get rid of puffy eyes." The report seems to have triggered a spike in sales. Please remember that the cream is "a pharmaceutical that is used on hemorrhoids and around the opening of the large intestine." (Newsweek)

This reminds me of Christopher Guest’s immortal line in Waiting for Guffman:

Corky St.Clair: Well, then, I just HATE you... and I hate your ass FACE!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was reading the back of a box of pills that treat pain from urinary tract infections (too much info, sorry, but really it's funny.) It read, and I quote "May cause red or orange tint to urine. May stain contact lenses."
What? What idiot needs to be warned about that????????
But still, the hemorroid cream does work (temporarily) on puffy eyes!

Nanuk of the North, older but no wiser said...

I used to wear contact lenses many years ago and I'm proud to say that not once did I rinse them using urine. Safety first!

Anonymous said...

AS per my nurse friend (let's call her France-i-poo to keep her anonymous)...well, her partner got hemmorhoids after giving birth (a common occurence), and she did not recommend over-the-counter creams, but witch hazel (not named after the Looney Tunes character, I soon discovered)....witch hazel is used for the treatment of various ailments including insect bites (I guess it's an anti-swelling thing!)
So, to all those putting creams under their eyes, perhaps witch hazel would work as well...and it is a natural product.

Should anyone test it out, please advise on its effectiveness.

JAW fan