Tuesday, October 10, 2006

I'm proudly ABI

I was watching Tout le Monde en Parle on Sunday night, and Michael Ignatieff was one of the guests. This is the most popular talk show in Quebec.

Anyway, Iggy decided that it would be amusing to pick on Air Canada. He said that he was appalled by Air Canada, but then said he had nothing against the employees. This made no sense to me. In a business like an airline, how can you pooh-pooh an airline but then support its employees? One of the main things that makes an airline good or bad is the staff. I guess he thought he was being a “man of the people” or some such crap, but his “joke” was that one of the things that unites all Canadians is a dislike of Air Canada.

Well, I harrumphed, I just flew Air Canada last week and I was perfectly satisfied with the service. The food was edible and the employees both in-flight and at the airport were courteous. I admit they showed Mission Impossible 3, forcing me to look at Tom Cruise’s stupid face for 2 hours, but I can’t really hold that up as negligence or intentional cruelty.

So Iggy’s joke fell flat with me, giving me another reason to dislike him.

He also said that when Bob Rae was his college room-mate, he never made his bed. I guess this was supposed to be funny too. But it wasn’t.

Colour me ABI: Anybody But Iggy. Me and my buddy Lloyd Axworthy, we’re both ABI. Why doesn’t Axworthy get back into politics? Him, I always liked.

2 comments:

cityofmushrooms said...

I'm w/you on the ABI thing.
even mr mushrooms is coming on board: the quebec nation thing, she is not pulling him.
so he's going dryden.
I'm still thinking bob-of-the- unmade-bed rae.

Anonymous said...

I watch "Tout le monde en parle" religiously.

There was a huge malaise when Iggy made the Air Canada comment. I think he was trying too hard to be the "cool" guy and he put his foot in his mouth instead.