Tuesday, September 16, 2008

In business news 2

I've just been discussing the astronomical losses involved in the Lehman Bros bankruptcy. (yes, instead of working.)

A colleague's back-of-the-napkin calculations showed that, on a level we can understand, the devaluation of their assets is the equivalent of my having $450 in my bank account, and going to the bank and discovering that all of it had evaporated except for 15 cents.

As one other colleague said: Hey, I'd be so pisssed off if that happened!

Indeed.

It's not much a stretch to go from that image to those 1920s Germans* buying a loaf of bread with a wheelbarrow full of cash.

(*or 2008 Zimbabweans)

We're freakin' doomed, aren't we?

6 comments:

cityofmushrooms said...

yup
time to start a-hordin' canned food 'n' bullets

Anonymous said...

shut up, you're burstin' my bubble. N.

Nanuk of the North, older but no wiser said...

Don't come crying to me when doom arrives. I'll be in my bunker.

Anonymous said...

....hmmm, should I be cashing in all my term deposits and RRSPs and keeping the money in a big pillow case...

JAW fan

Nanuk of the North, older but no wiser said...

Somebody asked that on "Larry King" last night, and the answer is no, don't do that. What if one of your co-owners burns the building down?

Anonymous said...

...umm, did I forget to mention that I will be carrying my pillow case wherever I go?

JAW fan