Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Sister Mary Agnes would not cut it

"being ugly is not a requirement for becoming a nun. "

I have been nudged toward the story of the priest in Italy who wants to run a beauty contest for nuns. I'm scanning the story right now, and it doesn't mention any age limit. It is hoped that at least 1000 nuns from around the world will enter the contest. It is held on-line.

Well, is there an age limit? If not, fine. If so, where are you going to find 1000 nuns under the age of, say, 30? Not in Canada, that's for sure.

This seems a bit of a dumb idea, but if the priest thinks it will interest more young people in the Church, well, then go ahead. No harm done.

I am reminded of my late uncle, who was a convert, having been born a Scots Presbyterian. Every time he saw a young nun, he would look sad, and say "what a waste". My aunt Therese, his wife, had thought of becoming a nun in her youth, but married him instead, at age 21. I always figured he imagined he bested God on that front. heh heh.

I remember a year ago when I saw the story about a calendar featuring young, handsome priests. Yes, I remember it well (despite my failing memory, I remember it very well.) I didn't really believe these guys were real priests, but what the heck. Anyone who has ever had a sexy priesty fantasy (and frankly who hasn't?) didn't care if the guys weren't real priests. But if they were.....well, sigh.

I tried to find a connection between the attractive nun story and the ugly-women-welcome in Queensland story, but I guess there isn't any. oh well.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

...this reminds me of some weird link Mr. Anon sent me a while ago, not realizing that as I scrolled down there were all these pictures of panty-less nuns with spread legs, which of course I had to quickly shut down, as I was at work...to this day, Mr. Anon swears he hadn't scrolled that far down. I think he just secretly has a nun thing going on and will probably be one of the on-line voters for this ludicrous pageant.

JAW fan

Anonymous said...

my my, must get my old habit out I guess! Mrs. A.

cityofmushrooms said...

I had been going to comment on how there needs to be a sexy firemen/priests calendar but that notion has nothing on mr anon's on-line nun habit...

Nanuk of the North, older but no wiser said...

Are the firemen in Vatican City also priests? (FAINTS at the thought. FAINTS with a giant beatific smile pasted to lips.)

Anonymous said...

Say - what are these rumors about me and nuns? You don't check out the blog for a few hours and all, er, underworld breaks loose.

For the record, I check out that site daily.

(actually, the link was left behind last month when I switched jobs. Some lucky technician checking my e-mails may stumble across it and click it and I'll hear the " hallelujah!" all the way up the hill)

Nanuk of the North, older but no wiser said...

Amen.