Sunday, August 03, 2008

I miss the good old days

Another decapitation. This time in Greece. A guy decapitated his girlfriend and her dog (!) I have no doubt whatsoever that our grizzly Manitoba murder will lead to a string of copycat decaps around the world.

One thing that bothers me on the comments sections of news web sites: People who ask, why didn’t anyone on the bus stop the stabbing? As if they themselves would’ve done something. How ridiculous. Nobody, and I mean nobody, not even a cop, is going to be able to do anything to stop a guy who is stabbing somebody 50 or 60 times. The poor kid never had a chance.

But indulge me while I go down memory lane to merrier times in the chronicles of decapitations. I must thank LLJ for reminding me of the fun we had with decap news stories a few years back on Rattansifan’s (she who is missing in action) web site.

LLJ or susieq can correct me if I get the details wrong, but I believe all the fun started with a story about two drunken American yahoos who were driving home from a drunk. The drunken yahoo passenger stuck his head out the window, and his aforementioned head was promptly taken off by a passing telephone pole. The drunken yahoo driver was so drunk he never noticed, and drove home. And if I am not confusing two stories, I believe the driver got home, out of the car and went to bed, leaving his headless buddy in the car.

Now that was the golden age of hilarious decapitation stories.

But now? The recent news? There’s no jokes in this. It’s horrible, scary, disturbing and will make everyone paranoid. I don’t even want to take the city bus tomorrow morning.

4 comments:

gsdgsd13 said...

The car decapitation was actually in metro Atlanta, and is one of those stories I like to trot out for newcomers (along with the Stewart Avenue Bachelor Party Murders and the guy who died after eating at the Mexican restaurant down the street).

The coda to the story was that the body, still hanging out of the car window in the driveway, wasn't noticed 'til the next morning, when a neighbor noticed while walking the dog, or something. I imagine after a sight like that, the whole day was ruined.

Anonymous said...

Yep,you got it right Nanuk - ah, memories!!!!

The Canada story has had a lot of coverage here and the more I read, the more I don't want to know. Its scary to think of all these loonies wandering around and you never know when they're going to crack and who will be on the receiving end.

Anonymous said...

Those were the facts as I remember them. I remember it being unintentionally hilarious because who could be that drunk? If I remember correctly we also noticed the sad truth that decapitation stories tend to run in groups probabaly from so much press. I don't think this will be any different.

What other groups of people collect the weird and odd news from around the world. Shoot most people I know don't even check any news at all.

Nanuk of the North, older but no wiser said...

Who could be that drunk and still driving, AND finding his way home? Impressive in his own way, that guy.