Tuesday, January 30, 2007

On Highway Robbery

Around this date every year I receive something in the mail which turns me into a Tex Avery character. My hair flips off and then lands back on my head; my eyes jump out like saucers whilst making a sproinggging noise; smoke pours out of my ears; my tongue grows ten feet and lands on the floor. Yep, it's the Montreal Municipal Tax Bill.

Holy crap!

For this year, it is a mere $60 more than last year. That I can handle. But the house's evaluation over the next 4 years is going up by 49.7%. Let me throw caution to the wind and say 50%. 50 PER CENT in the next four years. This means if I'm paying $3,000 this year (and I am!) by 2010 I'll be paying $4,500. Forty-five hundred dollars a year to the stinkin' City of Montreal and for what???

Could it be for the charm of our Third World Road Conditions? Last week I went through a pot hole (in LaSalle) and I swear the only thing that allowed me to emerge from it was the power of prayer. Last year Radio-Canada ran a story that said Montreal's streets were comparable to those of Dakar, Senegal. I fear Dakar has probably left us literally in the dirt by now.

Perhaps it's the pleasure of knowing if I flip my snow into the street, the City may fine me $60. Why not? They need the money.

Or the fact that you can't park for free anywhere on Sunday anymore, or weeknights after 7:00 p.m. It's all on the meter now. Thieves!!!!

The municipal records in 2010 will claim that I am living in a home evaluated at $294,000. Believe me, I am NOT living in a $294,000 house!! Wow. I love being rich ON PAPER. I am just so paperly rich. Wheee. This is absurd.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

They do the same crap here! I have to pay a lot more for my early 70's era ranch-style home (with the original green, orange, and gold kitchen floor, I might add) becuase there are new homes being built in the area and that's led to an increase in property value.
And about being rich on paper, I was denied financial aid because my husband makes 'too much money'. We should get together and toast to our wealth!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

I too am the house rich on paper group. Never mentioning that we've been slowly adding things to bring it into the millenium over the years. People are always spouting "sell!" My reply, then where would I live? Everything else is over valued as well.

cityofmushrooms said...

we all mighty rich on paper!

Anonymous said...

sure, blame Lasalle for everything! Wait until you get your car registration bill. It's almost as high as the taxes.

Nanuk of the North, older but no wiser said...

I got my car registration bill last November. It was the same as the year before. Am I in for a shock next November?

It's fun to blame LaSalle for everything.