Saturday, January 20, 2007

I Confess

I admit that in the past I have been guilty of both "illicit snow activity" and "unlawful shovelling".

But I'm trying to be good. I swear. I was the very model of a modern upstanding citizen this week. Really. I couldn't risk to be slapped with a fine and rap sheet as an illegal shoveller. Oh the shame.

From The Gazette:
If it's your snow, live with it or melt it, but don't shovel it onto public property, the borough of Cote des Neiges/Notre Dame de Grace says.

The borough contends too many homeowners and apartment building owners are illegally pushing snow from their driveways and walkways onto city streets, where it blocks parking and annoys neighbours.

So the borough has announced it will dig into the problem by enforcing a long-standing bylaw that prohibits it.

Unlawful shovelling carries a fine of between $60 and $2,000.

Municipal inspectors delivered more than 360 warning notices this week to homes suspected of illicit snow activity, borough mayor Michael Applebaum said yesterday.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Unlawful shovelling......here its breaking the water restrictions, like watering your garden on the wrong day or something (you water depending on your house number, twice a week only) - I guess its the same thing really.

cityofmushrooms said...

you illicit gal, you

Nanuk of the North, older but no wiser said...

Susie, I thought I saw pictures of half of Melbourne up in flames last week. Not a brush fire, but some industrial disaster. You people and your fires! No wonder you can't water your lawn when you want.

Anonymous said...

lol Oh, we haven't been allowed to water lawns for years.....Oh that was a big warehouse not far from me actually - very big fire.

Anonymous said...

My advice:

Sell one small portion of your front lawn to the city...then when your neighbour shovels his snow onto your it, you can call the city on him.

I just hope its not too warm when the police arrive...after all, your neighbour might just invite them to stay for outdoor brunch!

JAW fan