Thursday, January 11, 2007

Author, Author

The Decider ended his speech last night by saying "We go forward with trust that the Author of Liberty will guide us through these trying hours."

When he said that, I kinda sat up and said: The who?

Who's the Author of Liberty? While I, of course, suspect it's God he's talking about here, this isn't a rhetorical question. I've never heard this term before, and I suspect it's an American one. Or maybe it's a Fundamentalist Protestant thing, which would explain why I'm not familiar with it.

I don't see why Chimpy would need to use a fundie "code" word for God since American Presidents have always signed off their speeches with references to God, but why this particular usage?

It reminds me of when Rastafarians refer to Haile Selassie as King of Kings, Lord of Lords, elect of God, conquering Lion of the tribe of Judah. You could throw Author of Liberty in there and nobody would notice.

And, not to be a stickler or anything, but isn't man the author of liberty? Man invented the concept of liberty, no?

2 comments:

cityofmushrooms said...

then who's the literary agent of liberty? and what about liberty's publisher?

also: does liberty write longhand?

Anonymous said...

I don't think that "author of liberty" is an American phrase, at least not one that I've ever heard. In church, God is referred to as most of those things you mentioned, Nan, but if that's who Dubya was talking about, it's a new one to me.