Thursday, May 08, 2008

Today in embarrassing stray accoutrements

I’m not trying to top the feline vulva story, but this is just plain odd.

We have a cafeteria in our building, it is a busy floor. Lots of traffic. When you step out of the elevators, you turn a corner and head down a hallway to the caf. The floor is carpeted in a dark industrial grey.

This morning, right outside the elevator doors, near the corner, on the path that everyone must use to get to their coffee, smack in the middle of the floor, abandoned, orphaned, on the grey carpet, sat a pristine, clean, very white panty liner.

You couldn’t miss it.

I’m still chuckling. I told my colleague, and she informed me later that when she went to the caf it was not there anymore.

But talk about an elephant in the room. How could you wait for the elevators and not laugh. Especially in this place that is so full of snobs and uppity-ups. Thankfully I was alone with my coffee cup and did not have to pretend life was normal.

I think every woman who carries a purse has experienced the runaway pad or tampon that leaps out and lands on the grocery store conveyor belt or the lunchtime restaurant table, but most of us can make the superduper fast retrieve with a minimum of embarrassment. Our reflexes in this situation are very, very good. So I dunno what happened with the little lost panty liner. I’m just glad it wasn’t mine.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

...panty liner, big deal!...write back when you actually see a pair of panties on the floor...Now that would be an interesting work story!

JAW fan

Nanuk of the North, older but no wiser said...

From what I've heard, in the 1970s that wouldn't have been unusual in this place. We've gotten very boring over the decades...

Anonymous said...

at least it was clean!
My mom once pulled a stray string that was on a lady's bathing suit..well you can guess the rest of the story! OHHH MYYYYY.
N.

Nanuk of the North, older but no wiser said...

You know, Ms. N, I posted this story specifically with you in mind. I knew you'd have a comment. I know my readership!

cityofmushrooms said...

ah, the danger and embarrassement of being female!