Sunday, May 11, 2008

Merci Maman

Happy Mudders Day to all the mudders out there.

I was reading Post Secret (use the link) this morning, as it is the Mother's Day Edition. I was struck by the number of postcards written either to or about mothers who have passed away. There are a lot of people out there with unresolved Mom issues. I don't have that problem. Things were always cool between my mother and me, and when she died, there were no unspoken problems lingering in the void.

So I'm delighted that for the first time in 3 years, Mother's Day doesn't hurt. The past two have been very sad, but this year I'm happy. I'm happy that my mother did not leave me screwed up. What a good relationship we had. Yay to that!

Merci Maman for making me normal. I love you. I miss you.

(I know, define "normal", but I know what I mean.)

4 comments:

cityofmushrooms said...

AND she knew her ("tom/tim")baseball facts!

Nanuk of the North, older but no wiser said...

That she did.
And she LOVED her Montreal Canadiens.

Anonymous said...

A Mother's Day poem...that unfortunately only Nanuk will understand:

And as we celebrate this Mother's Day,
Here is what I have to say:
Mom's always outspoken when it comes to advice,
Sometimes it's nasty, sometimes it's nice,
But her best line to date, and I swear I've not lied,
is "Watch out for the Chink coming up on the side."

JAW fan

Nanuk of the North, older but no wiser said...

Let's just make it clear that your poem is about YOUR mother and not mine.