Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Occupation: Worry Wart

Twenty-four hours ago, I got an e-mail inviting me to write an exam for a job I applied for way back in January. I’d assumed I wasn’t under consideration because it had been soooo long, and I’d heard nothing. But apparently I’m in the running.

So I’ve spent the last 24 hours worrying. About moving to London.

Here’s the question: If you are unhappy in your life, then it’s easy to pick up your stuff, move away and start all over again. But what if you are just mildly disgruntled? And you know yourself, and you’ve always been mildly disgruntled, no matter where you are or what you’re doing. Do you still pack up and start over? In mid-life?

I’m a good candidate for this job, but I hope they don’t pick me. That way, they’ve made the decision and I don’t have to.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Worst of luck then to ya! London = expensive and the pressures of living so close to the Queen. Don't sweat it; get tested, interview etc. You can still say no if you get the offer. Is it still with IATA or who?
N.

cityofmushrooms said...

on the other hand: you might get a cute accent out of it

Nanuk of the North, older but no wiser said...

It's with an agency very similar to the one I'm currently with. All part of the same big happy family.

If they say yes, I can't say no. Because then I'll spend the rest of my working life in Montreal hating myself for being a wimp.

Yes, London's expensive. I wouldn't be going there to save money. On the other hand, it pays a lot more than what I make here, so it kinda evens out in the end, I'm guessing.

cityofmushrooms said...

hello, JAW Fan: I think we need a poem about this london business

Anonymous said...

Well, here goes:

Life sucks, pack your case,
Move away from this place.
Go to London, have some fun,
Come back when your contract's done.
While you're there, visit France,
Buy some sexy underpants.
Hook up with a UK bobby
Make "hot loving" your new hobby.
Face it, we're no longer young.
So find your bobby and work that tongue.
Then settle down for some fish and chips,
Who f**king cares if they go to your hips?
Or if you're really in a hurry,
Go to the corner and grab a curry.
I realize a move might make things tenser,
But just think of the chips at Marks & Spencer.
And should you stumble upon Johnny Rotten,
How quickly your past will be forgotten.
Oh, this town sounds like fun galore.
Need you any reasons more????

JAW fan

Nanuk of the North, older but no wiser said...

Wow. You're good.

You can never go wrong rhyming France and underpants. (I hope Ms Mushrooms is taking notes.)

cityofmushrooms said...

those underpants in france were my fav lines too
(I bow to thepoetryofJAWfan)