Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Parity

The news media here are just about wetting themselves in anticipation of the Canadian dollar achieving parity with the US dollar.

Last night Petey Mansbridge said that "experts" (they know who they are) were predicting last month there were would be parity by year-end, but now it looks like parity by the week-end.

But then what? It'll happen. Everyone will go Wow, and then what? Everyone will lie back and have a smoke?

I know that a 99-cent bag of Crab Spice Chips purchased in Plattsburgh, New York, will cost exactly 99 cents, but other than (as if that isn't enough, you ask) so what?

If the loonie is at par, or at 95 cents or $1.05 US, it doesn't really concern me that much. And is this really about the Canadian dollar being oh-so-hot, or just that the US dollar is in the international currency-trading toilet?

My big worry is that I'm bringing US dollars to Asia. What if they are a joke currency by next month? I'm picturing street vendors in Hanoi laughing at me.

5 comments:

cityofmushrooms said...

at expo 67 it was a dollar seven

those were the days

Anonymous said...

Why is it called the loonie?

Nanuk of the North, older but no wiser said...

Because there is an image of a Canadian loon on the back. (And no it's not Celine Dion.)

Anonymous said...

Give it another couple of years, and her picture will soon replace that of the Queen on her money.

To be honest, I don't know why John A MacDonald and Sir W. Laurier get to have their pictures on currency. Personally, I'd rather see the Friendly Giant on my money.

JAW fan

cityofmushrooms said...

and mr dress-up