Saturday, September 29, 2007

Chop, chop

The job cuts and restructuring have begun.

Yesterday I heard about one woman who is being transferred to another department to do a job she has no skills for or experience in. After 20-odd years working in recruitment, she now has to work on technical specs in environmental affairs. How logical! How sensible! She feels she is being set-up to fail. She's appealing her transfer.

Today I learned of another guy whose job has been eliminated. He's on a special work visa, which will allegedly run out a month after his job does. That means, if he's out on 31 December, he has to sell his house and move his family back to his home country before the end of January. He's depressed and shocked.

Only a fool would think she is untouchable and forever safe. So what am I doing on a Saturday night at 10:00 p.m.? Writing my curriculum vitae. I haven't written one of these since 1993. Jeez. How many ways can I say how great I am? Maybe I should do like Bart, and just walk around banging pots and pans and singing: I am so great! I am so great!

There are surprisingly two whole jobs in The Gazette today that I am qualified for. Normally I'm not qualified for or interested in anything I see in the paper. Is this an omen? I'm sending my c.v. to both, just to put out some feelers, just to learn what life is like in the real world. Scary!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Its a very scary spot to be in - I know many of us have been there before- luckily it somehow always works out? Didn't you think your job was safe? What to do - leave now or wait for the inevitable? However, I hope you are still going on that holiday!

Good luck!

Nanuk of the North, older but no wiser said...

thanks susie. yes I am departing two weeks from today! hurray.

Even those of us who were told our jobs were safe don't believe it anymore. This is because we have since learned that just because the "job" will be there doesn't mean that the current incumbent will continue to occupy that job. grrrr.

Anonymous said...

Oh, its like that! A spill of positions we call that here (or a restructure). That happened to me a few years ago, 18 months after starting with the organisation I'm with now - they 're-evaluated' the job descriptions, advertised and interviewed - guess what? All the current team missed out. I was placed somewhere else for 9 weeks before being terminated and 4 years later, I'm still there. It can happen.

Anonymous said...

...well, you ain't alone. Last week, here, they announced that they will be cutting (restructuring) 600 corporate jobs in North America.

I hold a corporate job. This morning, we have to hand in all our job functions and the % of our time spent on those functions, so that they can analyze us.

A package could very well be around the corner for me...however, for some reason, I am not panicking. I do not think about it and sleep quite well at night. I am saving all my panic and stress for the day they let me go. It'll be like when the dam broke in Irwin's Allen "Earthquake"

JAW fan

Anonymous said...

how much should I put down for blog posting and personal e-mailing???...1%?

JAW fan

Nanuk of the North, older but no wiser said...

Certainly no more than 1 per cent.

Look on the bright side. If you are out of that office, you can wear white after Labour Day and that woman won't be around to criticize you.

cityofmushrooms said...

note to JAW fan: should the dam break, chuck heston will surely rescue you