Monday, September 17, 2007

Let's Start the Work Week with a Tangy Chip Review

JAW Fan reporting:

Well, after ten days of agonizing anticipation, I finally managed to score myself a bag of the notorious Crab Spice Chips. Upon opening the giant-sized package, I quickly inhaled to get an initial sense of the flavour. These aren't fishy smelling, I thought to myself, as I dug in and scooped up my first chip. I was imagining a summer seaside experience, fully expecting the chips to taste like the fingers of a Maritime Fisherman. Sadly, that was not the case. They were nothing like those M&S Shrimp chips we used to eat as children. So, what do these supposed seafood snacks taste like? Well, they are interestingly tangy and have a barbecue-light taste to them. "Where's the Crab?" might replace "Where's the Beef?" as a new TV ad slogan, where these potatoes are concerned. However, do not misunderstand, they were decidedly delicious and un-nutritious (everything you wanted in a chip), but they lacked a certain individuality. They didn't leap up and scream "look at me" as do curry chips and dill pickle chips. Nonetheless, every mouthful was thoroughly enjoyed. In short, a great-tasting chip with a poorly-conceived name. In other words, those fearing a pungent seafood flavour need not abstain. On the wang-o-meter, they rate a respectable 7 inches.

Editor's note: M&S shrimp chips were from Marks & Spencer.

4 comments:

cityofmushrooms said...

ah, the wang-o-meter-
(wang-o-metRE?? in canada??)

Nanuk of the North, older but no wiser said...

Not enough things in life are measured on the wang-o-meter.

cityofmushrooms said...

it would be a good movie review measurement- forget yer thumbs and stars

Anonymous said...

FYI - crab spice is the flavor they actually cook the crab in so the bouillon doesn't actually taste like crab to begin with. I agree, name not well suited for the product. Looking forward to more JAW Fan reports. See you at GoGo!

N.