Sunday, September 16, 2007

3 Little Pigs

This is the biggest local hit at the movies this year. I saw it today and liked it. It's about three married brothers who are cheating on their wives in three different ways, or as we call it in Quebec: life.

It raised the issue of area code snobbery. I don't know if other cities have this, but in Montreal people who have the 514 area code and live on the island like to look down on people in the suburbs who have the 450 area code. Does this happen in other urban areas?

I thought of it because one character gets put down in the movie when a woman calls him something like a "Romeo from the 450". Ouch.

And yes, by the way, I DO live in the 514 area code.

2 comments:

cityofmushrooms said...

hey my whole province has TWO areas codes: yee ha!

Anonymous said...

We have postcode (zipcode) snobbery here and also the divide of the city by the Yarra River - so there's north of the river and south of the river. Naturally, I live south of the river because thats where all the 'right' people live! (and where the property prices are higher)