Thursday, April 12, 2007

The New Monkey King

Jet Li and Jackie Chan are making a movie about The Monkey King. There are two things wrong with this:

1) The new project will feature an original script about a modern-day, kung fu-obsessed teenager who is transported to ancient China after discovering an artifact from the Monkey King in a pawn shop. (CBC)


I hate framing devices. Lose this idea and just tell us about the Monkey King.

2) There is only one Monkey King and that’s Stephen Chow. Not that I have ever been able to figure out what exactly was going on his Monkey King movie, and this despite repeated viewings.


I was completely, utterly, hopelessly lost in all of Part Two as to who everybody was and just what they were doing. Ah, memories.

Where’s Stephen Chow when we need him?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Did you see Chinese Odyssey (parts 1 and2) with me? They were the last two movies at the first Fantasia. I still have no idea what went on. Is there anyone out there that thinks these films are simple, straightforward narratives and would have no problem explaining them at a cocktail party?

Unrelated: Does anyone go to cocktail parties anymore? Are there still cocktail parties?

Nanuk of the North, older but no wiser said...

Yes I saw them with you. And I own them! I've watched them. And I still don't know what's going on.

I miss cocktail parties. I want some host in a smoking jacket to waltz up to me and say "Rob Roy"?

cityofmushrooms said...

what an exotic life you mtlers lead...

NK said...

I was searching for Monkey King and well this blog show up. Sorry to drop by unannounce.

The chinese odyssee huh? I think I know what it's about. I watch it more than a year ago. I can't remember that far. But here's a link about it for u guys http://people.cohums.ohio-state.edu/denton2/courses/p879/ass/odyssey.htm

Well I am outta here. Hmm.. the cocktail party sound fun. Wonder where can I might find one here.

Monkey King rulez!!!
^_^