Thursday, April 12, 2007

A Few Little Words Gone Astray

I saw this in an obituary today.

“The family will receive condolences Saturday and Sunday, April 14 and 15, 2007 from 2 to 7 p.m. at (Free valet parking)”.

Nothing kills the solemnity of an obit like some typographical screw-up.



Also, we got an e-mail message from one of the Stationery staff today. I quote:

Due to circumstances beyond my control Stationery will be open today from 14:00 - 14:45.

You know, he’s trying to keep the doors shut but those darn stationery supplies just demand to be distributed!

6 comments:

cityofmushrooms said...

you editors are a tough bunch

cityofmushrooms said...

and you know how james joyce spent his later years "...putting commas on finnegan's wake..."

Nanuk of the North, older but no wiser said...

I'll have you know that there are 5 editors in our department and I'm known as one of the "light" editors. I have a colleague who rehauls everything, but I'll rarely mark up a page for nothing.

Between the other "light" editor and myself, we think of ourselves as the lazy editors. But a lot of people don't want their stuff messed with, so if it ain't broke we don't fix it or prettify it just for the sake of looking like we've done something.

cityofmushrooms said...

well I have to admit, the husband came home w/a series of notes he had jotted for himself so he could "write up" his actual report later, and I was just itching to get at those commas and such

editor material...?

Nanuk of the North, older but no wiser said...

You should've seen me at Easter Mass! There were typos in the overheads. These are the overheads with the words to the hymns on them. And I'm not singing, I'm spending my time wincing over those typos.

Nanuk of the North, older but no wiser said...

Face it, most people attending Easter Mass go to church twice a year, so they do NOT know the words to the hymns. Yes, I am one of those people.