Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Grindhouse Woes

I see that Grindhouse had a disappointing opening. I think I know why.

I was watching the commercial for it with my niece and nephew, ages 21 and 18, respectively, and it was clear that the “fun” that is supposed to be derived from the experience of watching a deliberately badly-made movie is lost on them. Completely foreign and alien to them. They’ve never gone to a smelly theatre (Hello, Cinema V) and watched movies from the 1970s where the film burns up or the sound is out of synch. Or seeing always the same print of a movie, so a certain jump in the film happens at the same place every single time. If you’ve never seen an original, what’s to “get” about a tribute?

And if the film-makers don’t attract the under-25 market, then they’ve got nothin’.

Who did Rodriguez and Tarantino make this movie for, other than themselves? People like me, in their age group. And how many 40-somethings who went to movies like that (like seeing The Road Warrior, oh I dunno, a dozen times…) are still interested in a movie experience like that? I still want to see it, but the kids think it looks dumb and uninteresting. I feel old.

11 comments:

cityofmushrooms said...

take heart tarantino, rodriguez, and nanuk certain: nine year old boys of my acquaintance were mighty impressed w/that machine-gun-leg as seen in the trailer! delightful memories of cinema V aside, the future of exploitation movies (even fake ones) looks good from here...

also: WE AIN'T OLD!!

Anonymous said...

Cinema V was great...still, nothing can compare to my memories of The Seville. Ahhh!!! I even have some Seville schedules from 1980 that I still lovingly look at every now and then.

JAW fan

Nanuk of the North, older but no wiser said...

You and Ms Mushrooms are hopeless nostalgia buffs.

cityofmushrooms said...

oh yes, the seville!
where I first saw the lovely mel in the yr of living dangerously
(tho no, please, I'm not trying to start a mel comment thread!!)

Nanuk of the North, older but no wiser said...

1980s Mel (i.e. Mel when he was young and not crazy) is always a worthwhile subject. I first saw him in YOLD but not at Seville. It was at those tiny theatres with tiny screens in the McGill Metro. 2001? Is that what they were called?

I went with a male friend who wanted to see Signourney Weaver. Afterward he admitted that Mel was too good-looking for Signourney. He totally took over the picture. I was in a daze.

cityofmushrooms said...

again, not to get amel thread going: but he was waaaaaay pretty

Anonymous said...

...and he didn't mind taking his clothes off in early movies (such as Galipolli, mmmm!)

JAW fan

Nanuk of the North, older but no wiser said...

Frankly, Mel still looks really good for his age, but sadly he's insane.

Anonymous said...

And the insane are notoriously known for ripping off their clothes and running around naked in public...aren't they???

If so, let's just hope Alec Baldwin and David Duchovny go off their rocker soon!!!

JAW fan

Nanuk of the North, older but no wiser said...

Only in your fantasies. Which are quite vivid, I'd imagine.

(Things always come back to Alec Baldwin, don't they?)

cityofmushrooms said...

of course I'm w/JAW fan on hoping alec b flips out ASAP