Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Everthing I know about Florida I learned from Carl Hiaasen

Well, except what I learned when I went there on Boxing Day when I was in grade 10 (I know it was grade 10 because my sisters and I had just gotten Queen's "Day at the Races" and "Night at the Opera" for Xmas. How could I forget that?). I learned that you can tell the Canadians in Florida because they are the ones swimming in the freezing post-Boxing Day waters (tho' it felt warm to us) when the locals are all wearing sweaters and woolen hats. The weather must have been crappy that week because the other thing I remember is that we went to see the first remake of "King Kong", the one that nearly wrecked Jessica Lang's career before it began (she played, if I am remembering this correctly, a character called "DWAN"...). We had to go to the movies because it was so miserably rainy and cold outside. Tho' we did manage to fit in a fair amount of Disney-Landing while we were there. Not that I remember that much. I can only think of all those swaying palm trees at the airport when we first touched down, and the smell of coconut suntan lotion everywhere.

Hope Nanuk is having fun in Florida. Hope she has need of her sunscreen.

(mushrooms)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Comment # 1: Mmm. I love the smell of coconut suntan lotion.

Comment # 2: In retrospect, the 1970s King Kong remake wasn't that bad. In fact, I rather prefer it to the new 2000s version, which I found long, tedious, and hokey. If you're going to spend gazillions of dollars on digital special effects, it better be f*%*ing amazing...and it wasn't.

Comment # 3: Although not on either of those two Queen albums, I am still fascinated by the utter ridiculousness of Bicycle Race and the stupidity of Fat Bottomed Girls (unless for some reason they really do make the rockin' world go 'round)...and this is where my Queen appreciation ends. As for Crazy Little Thing Called Love, Another One Bites the Dust, and (eek!) Radio GaGa...just what were they thinking??? And worse, why were people listening???

JAW fan

cityofmushrooms said...

for my money, the first KING KONG is the best - certain off-spring of mine can watch it over and over and never get tired it: THAT'S quality entertainment

Anonymous said...

The original is without a doubt the best...I just assumed that went without saying.

JAW fan