Thursday, April 05, 2007

Heading-Banging Parents

A young Swedish couple is locked in a legal battle over their right to name their child Metallica.

Michael and Karolina Tomaro managed to get their 6-month-old child baptized as Metallica, but now the Swedish National Tax Board is putting up a fuss. While the Tomaros insist on their right to choose (asserting that the name "suits her" because "she's decisive and knows what she wants"), the Tax Board claims not only that the name is a direct reference to the rock band but that it contains the word "metal." According to the AP, the official handling the case "also called the name ugly." (Salon)

Any opinions on this?

I’m not a parent, but if I had had a son, I suspect I would’ve named him Joe after Strummer, but Joe is a real name. Metallica, however... If they had had twins, would they have called them AC and DC?

14 comments:

Becky said...

Hey AC...DC wouldnt be that bad. Come on i know a gurl named pork chop...PC for short lol

cityofmushrooms said...

I'm sure if little metallica doesn't like her name, when she grows, she can change it to jane or sally or scout or apple or zowie or moon unit

whatever her little metal-head heart desires

(of course we mushrooms almost called the daughter "otis" and the son "lee marvin" so who am I to judge?)

(also: I'm told if I'd been a boy, I would have been called "ninian" after an irish relation killed in ww 1...dodged a bullet on that one, didn't I?)

Anonymous said...

People who want to name their children after rock bands shouldn't be having children.

However, if I had three children and could get away with this, they would be called the following: Plasmatics, BowWowWow, and X-Ray Spex*

JAW fan

* altogether now: Freddy tried to strangle me with my plastic popper beads!

cityofmushrooms said...

BowWowWow would be a popular kid in pre-school

Nanuk of the North, older but no wiser said...

Those Mushrooms kids would've been named Otis and Lee Marvin, if I had had MY way. When they are older, they will see the light.

Ninian? I bet NOBODY would've called you Ninny. Nope.

If I had been a boy, I would've been Paul. Not very exciting, eh? Better than Ninian, tho.

Anonymous said...

Well we named our kid after Mr. Bean....

Nanuk of the North, older but no wiser said...

Better than Baldrick.

Nanuk of the North, older but no wiser said...

Ninian could be a guy who plays the pan flute. The soothing tones of Ninian...

cityofmushrooms said...

poor ninian the first is turning in his hundred and something year old grave

my parents were recently vacationing in ireland where apparently ninian's abound

coast of ninian indeed...

(if I were a ninian tho', I'd never play the hideous pan-flute...ick)

cityofmushrooms said...

well now I'm EXTRA glad I'm not a boy!

Nanuk of the North, older but no wiser said...

I'm willing to bet ca$h money that within the next week or so, one of us will meet an actual living breathing man named Ninian. That's just how these things work out.

Anonymous said...

We have one here - he was Governor-General a few years ago - very distinguished he is too.

Nanuk of the North, older but no wiser said...

That didn't take long!

You mean not all Australians are named Mick?

Anonymous said...

Should I even dignify that with a reply? mmmmm, looks like I already have.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ninian_Stephen

note that he was born in England....