Monday, April 09, 2007

More Bad News

Well, that was a pretty shitty Easter. I'm not talking, of course, about the ham, and the turkey, the sweet potatoes and the chocolate bunnies, all of which were delicious.

I'm talking about 6 more Canadian soldiers killed in Afghanistan. The Spring Offensive is officially up and running. Five guys from CFB Gagetown in New Brunswick and a Reservist from Nova Scotia. The oldest was 31, the youngest 20. What a loss.

I stared long and hard at their pictures on the front page of the Toronto Star this morning. It's incredibly sad.

I can't believe our troops are committed to staying in A'stan until 2009. For what? This is making me ill.

5 comments:

cityofmushrooms said...

blame harper

Anonymous said...

Its all so sad. And I was reading about the 90th anniversary of Vimy Ridge which is this week - and still what have we learnt? Not a great deal. Our big WW1 thing is Gallipoli, 25 April, 1915. Similar story to Vimy Ridge, started big debates about conscription and all of that.

And here we are announcing today that we are sending yet MORE troops to Afghanistan and why? Well, the Americans asked us too!!! Thats a good reason! Bloody hell. (sorry, I'm a bit wound up about this after seeing our PM twittering away on the news tonight)

Nanuk of the North, older but no wiser said...

I heard that this morning. I said, oh no, it's the Australians again. I couldn't believe your guys got roped into doing more.

Anonymous said...

Because no one else is silly enough?

Anonymous said...

http://www.roadtosurfdom.com/2007/04/10/aussie-aussie-aussie-oi-oi-oi/

This is an article from my other favourite blog (I'm so diplomatic.....)