Friday, December 15, 2006

Strange Encounter of the Day

I’m in the cafeteria buying lunch. I’m carrying a Diet Coke. A woman I know a bit, but not really, really well, stops me and points at my Diet Coke.

She: That has aspartame in it.
Me: (warily) Yes?
She: You know what they say about aspartame?
Me: (thinking) Well, I figure it probably isn’t any better for me than a regular Coke.
She: You know what they say about aspartame?
Me: (resigned) No.
She: It gives you cancer.
Pause
Me: Well, in excess maybe, I suppose it isn’t good.
(Now I’m thinking "get me out of here".)
She: I don’t drink it anymore.
She leaves.

Why do people feel the need to educate me about carcinogens when all I really want is to have my lunch in peace?

2 comments:

cityofmushrooms said...

also: aspartame has that great aspartame kick to it

aside: you can only imagine what mr billy connolly would say about your lunch lady...

Anonymous said...

I would've told her to mind her own goddamn business...