Wednesday, December 13, 2006

‘Cause when you suck at your job, it’s the company’s fault

“Tenor Roberto Alagna has threatened to sue La Scala if the opera house does not let him return following his abrupt stage exit during a performance.

The opera house management said he would not sing the remaining scheduled performances as he had technically broken his contract. (BBC News)

"His behaviour has created a rift between the artist and the audience, and there is no possibility of repairing this relationship," spokesman Carlo Maria Cella said.

"But what was I supposed to do when some people started booing? What if they had thrown stones at me or some crazy person had attacked me?


"La Scala should have protected me, the show should have been suspended."

They did not throw stones. Nobody attacked him.

Two words: Drama Queen.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

On one level, I think, he's a DQ. But on another, was he seriously expected to keep on singing? And how did he cause a rift with the audience? By walking off or by singing poorly?

Personally, if I were La Scala, I would keep him on, hike ticket prices, and change the ad campaign to "Come boo an opera star!" Kind of a Rocky Horror for the opera crowd!

JAW fan