Thursday, December 07, 2006

Kids Today!

Guess what CD my nephew (age 18) wants for Christmas?

T Rex's Greatest Hits.

What???

Where did this come from?

A few years ago, it was all about The Doors. As a sarcastic aunt I felt compelled to point out that Jim Morrison had been dead for many, many years. He ignored me. I know The Doors thing came from his Apocalypse Now phase, which lasted a long time. I supposed it's never actually ended. Which is okay because my Apocalypse Now phase has been going on for about 27 years now. So okay. I could live with that.

But where does this T Rex thing come from? Off the top of my old grey head I can't think of a single song by T Rex other than Bang a Gong.

Does this mean he's skipped the KISS phase? The Alice Cooper phase? Or are those in his future?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

How could you have spend all those years knowing our mutal friend from Vancouver, a party in whose honor you recently attended at my house, without ever having had him discuss T-Rex with you? Next you will tell me you are shocked, shocked that he has more than a passing interest in CanLit! But seriously - you don't know any other T-Rex songs other than Bang a Gong? Surely you must have heard Metal Guru on CHOM at some point. And - might I point out - that you were actually with me in Lake George when I myself purchased a T-Rex Greatest Hits disc at that market where they sold cheap CDs on the street near the factory outlets - only to get home and discover that inside was in fact a Mamas and Papas Greatest hits. Which I already owned.

cityofmushrooms said...

pretty, pretty marc bolin died the same week as elvis and didn't get half the press

I applaud your nephew

you could have bang a gong a thousand times and that would be ok

or go to youtube and watch him do telegram sam

Nanuk of the North, older but no wiser said...

I wish I could recall my life as clearly as you recall my life. Some day you'll write my memoirs.

Our friend (let's call him Gatsby) was a T Rex fan? This is vague to me. I can really only remember him talking about Bowie and ABC.

Ms Mushrooms is a wealth of T Rex info, too. Who knew? All these T Rex fans around and I don't know a thing about them.

According to amazon, Bang a Gong is actually called Get It On. Did everyone not know that, or were you both indulging me in my ignorance?

cityofmushrooms said...

I thought both were part of the title if I ever thought about it, which I don't.
I just like the song.