Monday, December 04, 2006

Nancy Drew would've solved this in two days

This story has been discussed on Rattansifan’s forum but I feel I need to ponder it a bit more. It raises many an interesting question.

“NEW PORT RICHEY, Fla. -- A woman's body was found wedged upside-down behind a bookcase in the home she shared with relatives who had spent nearly two weeks looking for her.


A spokesman for the Pasco County Sheriff's Office said Mariesa Weber's death was not suspicious. Family members said they believe she fell over as she tried to adjust the plug of a TV behind the bookshelf.

Weber, 38, returned home Oct. 28 and greeted her mother, then wasn't seen again.

Her family thought she had been kidnapped and contacted authorities. Family members scoured her room for clues but found nothing, though they did notice a strange smell.”

a) How much serious discussion was engaged in before the family decided this was a case of kidnapping?
Sister: Where’s Mariesa?
Mother: I don’t know. She came home and I haven’t seen her since.
Sister: She must’ve been kidnapped.
This is clearly a case of people watching too much Law & Order.

b) How bad was the “strange smell” and for how many days did they notice it?

c) What are the statistical chances that any one person’s death can be so dumb that it ends up in the media, and their family look like total chumps?


5 comments:

cityofmushrooms said...

Nancy Drew, an attractive girl of 18, was driving home along a country road in her new dark-blue convertible. She had just delivered some legal papers for her father.
"It was sweet of Dad to give me this car for my birthday," she thought. "Maybe I should help him out with that missing person case. I wonder if Dad has searched the house yet. I should remind him to check everywhere, even behind the bookcase."
Her father, Carson Drew, a well-known lawyer in thier home of River Heights, frequently discussed puzzling cases withi his blond, blue-eyed daughter.

Nanuk of the North, older but no wiser said...

Where's Ned?

cityofmushrooms said...

Ned glanced critically at Nancy's high-heeled pumps as she met him at the door.
"Better change those," he advised with masculine bluntness.
After Nancy obidiently changed her shoes, the two set out in the young man's car. Ned took a road which led to the outskirts of River Heights.
"What's all the mystery anway?" Nancy asked suspiciously. "Am I being kidnapped?"
"Thta's right," laughed Ned.

Anonymous said...

LOL Mushrooms! I hope to GOD that if I ever disappear, someone in my family will search the house before alerting the police! And if they do find that I have perished in such a ridiculous manner, they will re-position my body (even if it means risking an investigation) so that I can retain some shred of dignity upon burial.
How the hell did she die plugging in the tv anyway?

Anonymous said...

I think the theory was she fell in such a strange position she couldn't breath. Weird....