Sunday, December 31, 2006

New Year's Eve

It's New Year's Eve. Unless you are in Asia and Australia and Eastern Europe and the Middle East and Africa, where it's already New Year's Day. Cheers!

Another year down the crapper, as my father might've said.

Spent most of the morning downloading CDs onto my ipod. My sis (a true boomer) lent me about 25 CDs full of old songs which as a boomer-hater (I suppose technically that is self-loathing but I digress) I should hate, but there's a lot of old stuff I wanted to own (Can you say Creedence?) so there ya go.

The Sounds of Silence continues to be a great song. What a great song.

And under odd discoveries, ever known a song for, oh, 30 years and only come to realize something about it today? That happened with Your Song by Elton John. Only this afternoon did I realize that when he sings "I forgotten if they're green or they're blue", he's singing about his love's eyes! I never knew that. I always thought it was some rhyme that made no sense. I never connected it to the eyes that he sings about in the next line. How dumb is that.

In movie news, saw The Good Shepherd today. I liked it. But would only recommend it to anyone who likes Cold War, CIA, KGB intrigue. Slow-moving intrigue. Very slow-moving intrigue. John Turturro is terrific in it. But I kept imagining him licking a bowling ball like in The Big Lebowski and that distracted me.

In trailers: I saw the Beatrix Potter one, with the oddly attractive Renee Zellweger and Ewan McGregor. I fear this is a family film and will afford no opportunity for McGregor to drop his trousers. Is it me, or has he stopped doing that completely? He used to do it a lot! I haven't seen Little Ewan for years, methinks.

In other trailers, it looks like 2007 will be a cinematic Chris Cooper cavalcade. Which is good because I like him. The spy movie he's in about the CIA looks good. I really like CIA movies, I've noticed.

Is Dick Clark dead? I can't remember.

1 comment:

cityofmushrooms said...

dick can't die because he has had plastic injected into his veins

go chris cooper and that appealing no-teeth look (guess I'm stuck on adaptation) and go little ewan, where ever ye be

aside: mr mrooms is a fan of ms. z esp as bridget j