Sunday, December 03, 2006

News on the Dateability Scene

There was a poll of both men and women about the "dateability" of various professions. I'm not sure I liked what it said.

Unsurprising, both men and women said that doctors were the most "dateable". 92% dateability rating for both male and female doctors. Is it safe to say that everyone's into money and status. That's the awful truth.

Now for the fun stuff:

Women's second choice: architects (89% dateability) Status and money again, I suppose. I don't really understand the appeal of the architect. On Seinfeld, George would claim he was an architect to impress women. I don't get what is sexy about architects. Nanuk shrugged. (Darn. Wrong book, right? But it was such a good joke. I can't think of a funny fountainhead line.)

Men's second choice?
Models!! (Actually, they aren't second, they are tied with doctors at 92%)
Good-bye money and status, hello exterior beauty. Come on, guys, do you have to be so predictable?
Women are into wealth and men are into looks. It's astonishing that the world keeps turning.

3rd choice:
Women: lawyers 89% (hey, I'm seeing a pattern here)
Men: air hostess 88%.
Who calls them air hostesses anymore? They are flight attendants. Or worse: cabin crew. But again "air hostess" certainly is better for 1960s Swedish soft-core fantasizing than "flight attendant". Would you like some TWA coffee? (old joke, for the initiated only.)

4th choice:
Women: property agent. I'm not sure what that is. I'm assuming it's a real estate agent. Who thinks real estate agents are dateable? Aren't those guys sleazy? This one is lost on me. Do status and money apply here?
Men: Shocker! Dancer 88%. I guess that is short for pole dancer? I dunno. I give up.

I noted that "editor of aviation-related technical material didn't even make the list". Harumph!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't think any of this is surprising. Women are looking for someone with a bit of money so they can have children and not worry about money. Men are shallow creatures who are looking for a trophy who makes them look good and with good breeding potential.

If that sounds cynical, so be it.

Anonymous said...

I only have one comment: Mike Brady (as played by the incredibly sexy and drool-inducing Robert Reed) on The Brady Bunch was an architect.

Of course, Brian Dennehy also played an architect in The Belly of an Architect...so much for that theory then!!!

JAW fan

Nanuk of the North, older but no wiser said...

How Robert Reed could be drool-inducing will forever remain a mystery to me. The man had a perm for god's sake.

Anonymous said...

As for that perm...that was purely season 5 (and maybe the end of season 4)

Go back and watch the first seasons. We're talking major hottie, here!!!

JAW fan

cityofmushrooms said...

Dear JAW fan, I see we have reached the great divide: MIKE BRADY???!! I can't go there, ever, ever!
On the other hand, I adore Brian Dennehy ESP in "The belly of an architect".
Who can account for taste?

And note to Ms. Nanuk: Where ever did you get this poll? "Pole dancers quarterly??"

Nanuk of the North, older but no wiser said...

The poll was in Saturday's Gazette but I don't remember the original source.

Anonymous said...

What about umeployed married mother of one? Oh, wait...

Nanuk of the North, older but no wiser said...

Well, Anne, there are some people who don't let marriage standing the way of dating...

Nanuk of the North, older but no wiser said...

D'oh! stand in, not standing.

Brain and fingers not communicating.