Tuesday, December 12, 2006

And they say women are high strung!

We haven't had any opera news lately, so here goes:

“Top tenor Roberto Alagna has stunned opera-goers at La Scala in Milan by storming off stage in the middle of a performance after he was booed.

The Franco-Italian singer, who was playing a leading role in Verdi's Aida, walked off minutes into the second night of the opera house's new season.

When his rendition of the aria Celeste Aida was greeted by boos and whistles, Alagna stopped singing and walked off stage, leaving his partner in the duet stranded [Editor's note: That's classy].

Alagna, who was born in France to Italian parents, told reporters later: "I have sung around the world and I've been successful, but in front of this evening's audience, I felt like I was in a different world.

"The true spirited and fiery public wasn't there.”

That's it, pal, blame the audience. Um, sorry Roberto, but if they started booing and whistling in the middle of the show, I’d say the “spirited and fiery public” was totally there. In your face.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I meant to call you about this yesterday...My favorite part of the story is not mentioned in your blurb. After walking off stage, the understudy had to rush on stage to continue the performance...dressed in jeans!

I'm not sure if the Opera de Montreal's production of La Traviata is still going on...if it is, I suggest we buy tickets and go boo Violetta off stage after her big Act 1 aria...just for fun! See if we can make her cry!

As an aside, I have recently started re-purchasing Opera News. My favorite section is the opera reviews. There is just no pleasing an opera critic. Singers could have sung the role excellently without a missed note, but them pesky critics will find a way to criticize (whether it's the set designer, the costumes, the acting) As far as they're concerned, there is no such thing as the perfect opera.

JAW fan

Nanuk of the North, older but no wiser said...

Yeah, I left out the understudy in the jeans. There were just too many good parts to this story. It would've taken up the whole site.
I think the understudy said: "I came in at the last second and I did a great job." How modest. But I suppose if he did not get booed off the stage, then he did do a great job.

La Traviata? Sure. Can I bring rotten tomatoes?

Anonymous said...

I beleive the crowds at La Scala are famous (infamous?) for booing and hissing if they're not happy. By the same token, I think he was a bit precious walking off the stage like that. I thought it was his wife (Angela somebody or other) or was the diva in the family, but clearly not.