Monday, February 23, 2009

Oscar Review

So much for my brilliant post-Oscar sleep-in plan. I have taken the morning off just to sleep, and what happens? Mr. Jaws decides that 6:02 (while it is still dark out) is Big Time Play Time. He would not stop attacking me. I should say that I am glad he is back to his normal lively self, but honestly, I am annoyed with him. I did not get back to sleep. Dumb cat.

Oscar thoughts:

1) watching Jennifer Aniston was very uncomfortable. It didn't help that the camera was on Angelina at one point. I thought Jen looked like she was going to have a meltdown. She was awful. I couldn't tell if Brad was squirming.

2) whoever did Reese Witherspoon's make-up should be banished from the make-up biz forever. She is usually so radiant but she looked liked she had two black eyes. Thumbs down.

3) Adrien Brody? let's hope that "look" is for a role. Otherwise, seek help. I thought he was a fashionista. Looked like crap.

4) DeNiro is turning into everybody's dad. Ho, ho.

5) Sean Penn gets more twerpish every year. I used to like him, now he just grates on my nerves.

6) How long will Hugh Jackman reign as the gayest straight man alive?

7) Too bad the camera closed in on Sophia Loren. From a distance, when she walked out, she still looked like this formidable goddess, but in close-up, well, she's looking old. That's a shame. I wanted to be in awe of her.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you, Mr. Blackwell...Good thing, no one wore a swan dress this year or you'd have been rambling on for days.

And as for Sophia Loren, we can only pray we all look that good at 74.

JAW fan

Anonymous said...

Hugh Jackman...straight, right! No straight guy can look like that, dance like that and twirl a top hat at the same time...sure Gene Kelly comes to mind...but you know what? I think the jury is still out on him!...as for Fred Astaire, come on, we all want to say it...98-pound weakling and, oh yeah, Ka-ween!

JAW fan

Anonymous said...

Okay - please re-read the first few lines of your post again and think that some of us out here in reader-land understood you had been woken up by Jaw Fan and not Mr. Jaws. At least it provided me with my morning laugh.

As for Mr. Jackman and the way he swings - JAW fan is right. Ask me next time we're having lunch and I will tell you a story that I won't post here.

Anonymous said...

Actually, when I first read her posting this morning, I read it quickly and had the same reaction...I thought, I didn't wake her up...as Nanuk knows, I never call when she's asleep, only when she's eating.

JAW fan

Anonymous said...

Now, I want to know the H.J. story...also, I am assuming this is Mrs. Anon talking or is it Mr. Anon...I can never be 100% sure with you two.

JAW fan

Anonymous said...

It's Mr. Anon (how can you not tell anonymous, unsigned blog comments apart?) - the story revolves around a true life anecdote from someone who worked with Mr. J for a couple of weeks while he was here in town working.

Anonymous said...

Ditto on H. J. comment, and for the record I too was wondering why JAW Fan was waking you up!

Nanuk of the North, older but no wiser said...

To clarify: JAW Fan and I did not have a morning romp, with him sticking his paws in my face and biting my fingers. We never do such things any more. Not since the infamous "PC" incident in our motel room in Lake George many years ago. Things have never been the same.

Now everyone wants the Hugh Jackman gay story! Don't get us sued! I saw a bit of his interview with Barbara Walters, but I noticed when she asked him, he didn't really answer. Saying "I love my wife" does not = not queer as a three-dollar bill (to use my father's old expression)

Also, Sophia is 74. Look that good at 74? I would've been happy to look that good at 44.

Nanuk of the North, older but no wiser said...

Mr. Anon: forget HJ. Tell us, in an anecdotal way, instead about that other actor. Um, Jack Hugman.

Anonymous said...

A person I know casually and see at parties once a year or so (the best friend of another person who used to go to Fantasia with us and is now a recent father) worked on the set of a movie with him in a capacity that brought him into close collaborative contact with him. His comment: wife, schmife - he was pretty open about the fact he was playing for the other team and actually talked about it quite openly. So there was no doubt at all about this.

Nanuk of the North, older but no wiser said...

What a rascal that Jack Hugman.