Tuesday, February 03, 2009

The Book of Love is long and boring

With Valentine’s Day around the corner, here’s one for the Romantics.

Last weekend, Kumar expressed his fear that I was “falling in love” with him. I assured him I was not, his being a great guy, etc., etc., notwithstanding. Good Canadians always love a chance to use the notwithstanding clause.

Now this is the kind of discussion women love, and men get glazed-over looks about. Why? Because women analyze something like this to death. Why? Because that’s what we do. It’s what we’re good at. Over-analyzing. Dissecting, Reinterpreting.

Instant female response to Kumar’s comment is to exclaim: “A-ha!! HE is, in true fact, the one falling in love and this is his way of discretely broaching the subject.”

Instant male response to same comment: “Uh, what was the comment, again?”

It was a weird thing for him to say, and we changed the subject quickly thereafter, but it wasn’t any weirder than a couple of weeks ago when he asked me what I thought of having kids. I think his brains are scrambled.

Actually, I think he has successfully managed to completely erase our age difference from his consciousness. Last weekend, he was telling me about his supervisor, who he described as “a very nice woman, but she’s older, around 50”. She makes his coffee for him every morning. Isn’t that nice? he said. I said, sure, but I’m thinking: hey, you old broad, hands off!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

U-oh. I think you're right, he IS forgetting that age difference again.

Happened to me, the kids conversation, more times than I can count over the years. I'm so over it now that I won't even go out anymore with men who don't already have children.

cityofmushrooms said...

age difference! what age difference?

Anonymous said...

And whats this about his supervisor making coffee for him every morning!!! Crazy woman!

Men always want children, but I don't see many of them giving up their jobs to stay home and look after them!!!!

Anonymous said...

...oh, but that age thing will sneak in sometime down the road. As you know, my man is 20 years older, and do you know how embarrassing it is when we go to a party and there he is doing the Charelston.*

JAW fan

(not to be confused with "doing Charlton")

Nanuk of the North, older but no wiser said...

This is some kind of karmic retribution because all my life I have scoffed at couples with big age differences. I have always said "what can they possibility have in common???" Now I have to shut my mouth. sigh.

Nanuk of the North, older but no wiser said...

er, possibly.

cityofmushrooms said...

maybe at a certain age "doing the charelston" and "doing charlton" become the same thing...