Monday, February 09, 2009

Maybe, maybe not, possibly

I saw Doubt on the weekend. A very good movie for all Catholics and Catholic wanna-be’s. This latter group being a very small exclusive clique. In fact I only know one*.

I had seen the play 2 years ago, and I guess because the playwright also directed the movie, it kept the same tone. I thought it was very cleverly written because if you think the priest is guilty as sin, then everything he says makes you think “Entitled creep! Arrogant!” but if you think the priest is innocent, everything he says is reasonable and fair in the circumstances.

I still dunno if he done it.

As for Sister Aloyisius. Well, let’s just say she’s represents the kind of Catholic who must be thrilled to have Benny XVI in the top job now. At last. That John XXIII was a heretic.


*Note to wanna-be Catholic: You could just convert, you know. It could add a little spice to your life. heh. Spice and iconography.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't think you're referring to me but sometimes I wish I were catholic...but it's just too much work you know? =)

cityofmushrooms said...

the great alice toklas converted when she was old -- and you know -- I AM getting on in years...

anyway: you catholics have all the fun (and a big chunk of the art)

Anonymous said...

Wait a minute, CoM - you aren't Catholic? I seem to remember back in University having discussions with you about this. I guess not. Well, feel free to join us - the rewards are heavenly.

Nanuk of the North, older but no wiser said...

See? She's so good at acting Catholic, she has people fooled.

cityofmushrooms said...

such a wannabe-

tho Judaism looks good too..
That or the raucous thrills of tent show fire and brimstone ol' time religion, charismatic leaders in the jungle, cyanide in the koolaid, the fires of waco--

er, maybe not