Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Er...um...

Hate to be the old Nervous Nelly again, but the TSX is down over 280 points and the Dow is down over 250. And this is not making any kind of headlines anywhere. Apparently for the Dow this is the lowest it has been in a decade.

We're at that point, now, aren't we? When plunging markets don't even raise an eyebrow. Billions, trillions, whatever. Money is so abstract, it means nothing to us anymore. I'm going to buy some of that rust-proof paint, and paint my green wheelbarrow. I want it to be real shiny and pretty when I push it over to IGA, loaded with worthless currency, to buy a loaf of bread.

Meanwhile the whole planet has worked itself into a tizzy (smelling salts for all!) over some 13-year-old kid in Britain who fathered a child. O the humanity.

I'm thinking of taking up whiskey-drinking. Whiskey just seems like the kind of liquor I'm going to need as society slips into Great Depression 2.0. Something that will knock me out cold.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think it's more of case of so much bad news on top of bad news tehse days that it's hard to stay worked up.

You mean even more bad news? Okey dokey then, add it to the list, I'll think about it another time...my brain hurts right this moment.

Anonymous said...

"I want it to be real shiny and pretty when I push it over to IGA, loaded with worthless currency, to buy a loaf of bread". Well excuse me, Mrs. Rockefeller. If you're going to blow your money on frivolities like food, of course the economic downturn will hurt you!

I have heard "experts" keep telling me it's going to get worse before it gets better.

Define "worse"????

Anonymous said...

re. the 13 year old dad - don't tell me this is the first case. I mean, we always heard stories like this ages ago but they just weren't globally reported...and no it wasn't all in my hometown! =) I think the zulus alone must've had a few young parents, no?

Nanuk of the North, older but no wiser said...

HA! the "zulus"? I haven't heard that expression in years and years.

As for the Depression, I watched Frontline last night, and in a nutshell, people lost "confidence" and now we are all going to hell in a wheelbarrow. If only society had worked more on our financial self-esteem, maybe complimented us on our pretty bank accounts, we would not have lost "confidence" and everything would be okay today. Damn banks!