Monday, February 02, 2009

Cat$ co$t Ca$h

Emergency: I had to take Mr. D. to the vet. An incident occurred in the basement yesterday, I know not what it was. I heard only a bang and a crash, and several minutes later, Mr. D. emerged from below, blood on his paws, blood dripping from his mouth.

I cannot imagine what exactly he got himself into.

So emergency visit to the vet today. His gums are swollen, his jaw looks a bit dislocated, and all 4 fangs (or incisors if you prefer a less feral word) have to come out. He's going to look like some old toothless French Canadian. I'll call him "Pepere". He has always had jungle breath that could knock you down in an instant, but now his gums are so infected, he can't go on like this. Gingivitus, and god only knows what else, is lurking in there.

I left him at the vet. They started him immediately on fluids by IV, and on antibiotics, and tomorrow is the multiple extractions. I should have him home again tomorrow evening.

On the bright side, they have already called to inform me that he tested negative for FIV, so he does not have Kitty Aids. This means his auto-immune system is good, and he should recover more quickly from the surgery.

The poor little guy. And me, the POORER little owner. This will easily run over a thousand bucks. But he's worth it!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

well my ol' lady has to go down at some point. I'm putting it off, but she's a real sight. The other one has a bit of a swollen cheak after a run in with a big black cat we call "stinky" (he's not fixed as you can guess) so he'll have to go in for a check up. Heck it could've been a raccoon that bit him so I guess it's time to update those rabies shots. I am avoiding the vet as I'm sure it'll cost me. Yours sounds much worse though! I take it he'll have to be on special food now? And you guffawed over Morley's expenses...not going anywhere then I take it this winter?

Anonymous said...

Cats...who only knows what things they're doing when they don't get caught.

For your sake, I just hope he wasn't doing battle with a 15 lb. rat.

JAW fan