Wednesday, October 01, 2008

Nanuk and Kumar don't go to Second Cup

So here’s a story. I made plans to meet our young Indian friend (let’s call him Kumar) for coffee last night at 7:15. He didn’t know exactly where he was going but said he would mapquest the location.

Knowing this, I wasn’t concerned when I arrived precisely at 7:15, and no Kumar. 7:30 no Kumar.
7:45 still no Kumar.

At this point, I had finished drinking my green tea and passionfruit smoothie, (which I’m still enjoying even though it isn’t summer anymore) so I packed up my stuff, went for a pee and left at 7:50. Thinking: jerky kid.

For this I missed the first 25 minutes of “House” !

Post-House, I turn on my computer and see two emails from Kumar: one says he’s running late, and the second says: he’s really, really sorry, but now he is at Second Cup (it’s 8 effing 30 at this point) and will I come and join him.

Then I get an IM coming in from him. I shut it down.

Then I get a third apologetic email saying: you have every right to be angry. Grovel. Grovel.


I did not respond.

So the questions for the panel are: how much more grovelling am I owed in these circumstances? Do I give this a second try (for a second green tea smoothie at Second Cup?) or do I blow this thing off?


(An aside: When I saw the scotsman in the caf getting coffee this morning, I was this close to saying "you don't know what crap I go through just because you don't want me, bozo". )

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

An hour late for a date is so unacceptable unless there is a very good reason....and then having the nerve to ask you join him when he turns up late!
However,one more chance I reckon. Set a time limit (I will wait for you for 20 minutes and thats it, finito!) and take something to read while your're waiting. There's nothing worse than being stood up and sitting there looking like you've been stood up (and so speaks the voice of bitter experience.....)

Nanuk of the North, older but no wiser said...

I had brought some office work last night, so I did not completely waste my time. But after half an hour of waiting, I was too annoyed to concentrate on work, so I gave up.

Not to mention knowing I was missing House!

Anonymous said...

...but you were drinking a delicious smoothie!!!

Although next time, smoothie should be on him...and a piece of cake or something to go with it.

Let's face it everyone has had a good reason for being late in their lifetime...of course, if his good reason is that he wasn't yet finished with his 6:30 hookup, you might want to rethink the whole thing!

JAW fan