Friday, October 31, 2008

I Hates Myself

Sometimes, I feel like I am in a bad marriage with my endocrinologist. Yesterday he said to me "We've been playing this game for 10 years."

This game being the fact that he threatens to prescribe a statin, and I promise to reform my bad eating habits, so he gives me another 6 months to change. I don't change. And on we go.

Yesterday was the day of reckoning. I left his office with a prescription. Our actual exchange:

Me: You are going to give me hell.
Dr. S.: No. I'm not going to give you hell, I'm going to give you a prescription.

So now I am truly middle-aged. But he told me he has taken people off statins if they can show him that they have truly and for the long-term "changed their lifestyle". If I truly and in the long run "change my lifestyle", and the change will be visible on my blood tests, he will take me off the statin in a year's time.

Can I truly and in the long run "change my lifestyle"? I want to!! I really do!! I don't want to take pills. But today I had a Big Mac and fries for lunch, because work is pissing me off and I had to stress-eat with my colleagues. I'm screwed.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

don't beat yourself up over this. Better not live with the stress of knowing there will be another appointment looming. Important question - does it have any contraindication with alcohol? then I'd say get off the medicine and get on a liquid diet! =)

Nanuk of the North, older but no wiser said...

I don't think so. As far as I am aware, lots of drunks take statins. I'm in good company.

cityofmushrooms said...

what's statin?

also you have a pretty cool-sounding endo. Mine has a small figure of picard from star trek on his computer (they are a breed apart, those chemo-whiz-guys)

Anonymous said...

I take 2 statins (diabetes does that too you...) and still indulge in the occasional drink (or 5 or 6). I call them my breakout nights, but behave the rest of the time.

As for McDonalds - no, no, no!!!! (shakes head in despair at Nanuk's eating habits) If you want to keep eating Maccas (as we call it here) and live, go on the statins....

Nanuk of the North, older but no wiser said...

yesterday's Big Mac was my last for a long time. My friends laughed at me as I said "It's my laaasst Big Mac" I was so sad.

MsMushrooms, statins are anti cholesterol drugs. I'm not sure how they work, frankly. I have to do some internet research today on them. Lipitor is the most well-known and that is what he prescribed for me. And yes, my endo is pretty cool. He's about my age and he's quite chubby. I'm always wanting to ask him what his blood test numbers are...

cityofmushrooms said...

o ok
I get those too
lipidil-supra and crestor ("crestor" is always pronounced in a peter lorre voice)

Nanuk of the North, older but no wiser said...

Meester Crestor...heh heh heh