Saturday, October 18, 2008

My Balkan Brain Fart

On the test yesterday, one of the things we had to correct was a reference to Kosovo as a Baltic state. I knew that was wrong, but do you think I could remember the word "Balkan"? That was the only time I drew a complete blank, and I mean complete.

I thought about writing " starts with a B" or "B...." but I knew it wouldn't fly. In my head (not out loud, I hope) I was saying Ba, Be, Bi, Bo, Bu, Br, Bl, but it just wasn't happenin'.

I left it until the end, hoping that once I stopped obsessing about it, it would come back to me. It didn't. Even on the bus heading to LaGuardia at 5, I still couldn't remember that effing word.

So I wrote "former Yugoslavia" which is technically correct, but not the word they wanted. Maybe I'll get half a point for at least knowing Baltic was wrong? maybe?

Other than that, the test went pretty smoothly.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So when do you find out the results?

Nanuk of the North, older but no wiser said...

I asked, and was told it will take "several months" just to correct the exams. They are corrected by a "committee". So I'm guessing it'll be 6 months before they make any decisions.