Wednesday, June 11, 2008

TV News

CTV has finally got around to airing Mad Men. I've been waiting forever for this show.

The first episode did not disappoint. It is as has been described: everybody smokes constantly. My sister kept saying "Did people smoke that much?" We can't remember the 60's and smoking, although both our parents smoked at the time. I do recall that.

Also, everyone (i.e the men) is drinking at the office. Love that. The anti-semitism is weirdly casual, and I doubt that black people even exist in this world.

Anyway the show looks great. I love the clothes and the hairstyles. And the amazingly sexist dialogue. At one point, a boss (male, of course) tells a secretary (female, of course) to go home and put her curlers on and relax. My sis said "Anyone who doesn't call herself a feminist should ask herself if THIS is what she wants to go back to."

All the characters seem pretty nasty and conniving. I'll keep watching because I love nastiness, but I think sis will tune out because the creeps on the show were giving her the creeps.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Haven't watched this show...but am watching Swingtown, which takes place in the 70s about a suburb where "swinging" is in...Why are other decades always cooler than the one we're living in...Even now, at times, I think, hey the 80s looked like fun...and then I remember that I was a part of it (and that it wasn't thaaaat fun!)

JAW fan

Anonymous said...

Haven't watched this show...but am watching Swingtown, which takes place in the 70s about a suburb where "swinging" is in...Why are other decades always cooler than the one we're living in...Even now, at times, I think, hey the 80s looked like fun...and then I remember that I was a part of it (and that it wasn't thaaaat fun!)

JAW fan

Anonymous said...

Double your pleasure with Doublemint gum!

JAW fan

Nanuk of the North, older but no wiser said...

Isn't swinging still in? I thought people were getting arrested for that in the past few years, for running brothels under the title of swinging parties?

I know of one person who was invited to a swingers party on the West Island. And we think the West Island is dull...

I don't understand swinging. Maybe just because there aren't that many men (I'm talking regular men here, not European soccer players) that I would want to "swing" with.