Monday, June 02, 2008

Today in shocking, scandalous chip news

Back on May 5th (you can look it up) I wrote the following: "At the risk of stating the obvious, my urn should be Pringles can. Sour Cream 'n' Onion, if available. Cheez'ums also acceptable in a pinch."

Today, via a loyal reader (you could all fit in one giant Pringles can, probably) comes this alarming news:

"Dr. Fredric J. Baur was so proud of having designed the container for Pringles potato crisps that he asked his family to bury him in one.

His children honored his request. Part of his remains was buried in a Pringles can - along with a regular urn containing the rest - in his grave at Arlington Memorial Gardens in Springfield Township." (Cincinnati.com)

Baur, that freakin' little so-and-so. How dare he steal my idea? Just 'cause he invented it? That's his reason? Harumph. Double harumph.

I'll wager he probably requested the traditional red can, and I'm still leaning toward the green SC and O, so I hope I still have that going for me. gawd. Is nothing sacred?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

You know I read this story today and my first thought was 'isn't this weird' - no, my first thought was that Nanuk will love this story!!!!
Bingo!!!

Anonymous said...

Whenever I hear the word "Pringles"
My body is covered with tingles.
That red cylindrical tower,
Invented by Frederic Baur
Is an icon of popular culture,
That in me brings out the vulture,
As I gobble each tasty chip down,
And put on an unwanted pound,
How true it is, I do learn
That it would make a beautiful urn.
But the question I have this minute,
Is do we keep all the chips in it?
Or maybe, just as a favour,
We could put in one of each flavour.
That way, for this reason only,
My ashes won't feel so lonely.

JAW fan

Nanuk of the North, older but no wiser said...

Wow. A few days off from poetry writing has really allowed you to get back on your game big time.

cityofmushrooms said...

is there a "poetry pringle award" out there?

Nanuk of the North, older but no wiser said...

The Golden Chip.