Monday, June 16, 2008

File this under "Believe It Or Not"

On Saturday afternoon, yours truly, in the costume of an Italian tenor, including cape, gloves and fake beard made of felt, stood up and sang in front of 30 people, about half of whom were strangers. Yes, me, your humble blogger.

I still can’t believe I did that.

I had written a song parody for a friend’s birthday, and one thing led to another, and it turned into a mini-opera, with me as the soloist and the girls from work as my chorus.

Repeat: I still can’t believe I did that.

Given that a) I’m a total introvert and b) I’m tone deaf and have no voice at all, it was surreal and hilarious.

I volunteered to do this, and was totally calm about it, right up until I started singing. Then about two lines in, I had a panic attack. My hands started trembling, but I knew I had to keep going. A big voice inside my head screamed: What the f*** am I doing here?

And all I had before was 2 shandys. I wasn't even close to drunk.

But we all got through it, got huge screaming laughs, and a standing ovation from all present. And the birthday girl looked pretty pleased. And stunned.

I dunno what’s gotten into me lately.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

all that stress had to help shed a few pounds. Keep it up! way to go! N. =)))

Anonymous said...

...I need pictures as proof!!!

On the other hand, I know exactly every emotion that you were experiencing that night (need I remind you of the Lake George Big Khauna incident)...That ten minutes in the backroom were ten minutes from Hell and then when they called my name to come out on stage...I'm surprised I didn't faint and/or puke right there!

JAW fan

Nanuk of the North, older but no wiser said...

Pics were taken, and I will post one when I receive them. You will have proof! Although in my elaborate costume you may not recognize me.

I gained 2 pounds over the weekend. Stupid birthday party! Back to the old drawing board.

cityofmushrooms said...

I need video confirmation
better yet: post it on you tube